P-51B (Sweet Aviation) 15th AF, Italy 1944

Anything that flies goes here : fixed wings, rotary wing, airships and ..... balloons
Tim R-T-C

P-51B (Sweet Aviation) 15th AF, Italy 1944

Post by Tim R-T-C »

Italy, 1944

A P-51B Mustang of the 15th Air Force USAAF is prepared for flight, although the pilot seems to be in deep discussion with the crew chief...

This build was primarily an excuse to build something with a simple metallic scheme so I could test out my Christmas present of a solvent extractor unit, permitting the use of Tamiya rattle cans indoors.

Sweet Aviation are well known in 144th circles - they are Tamiya levels of engineering quality, almost fall together. The basic assembly took me less than an hour. Only the very basic cockpit betrays the nearly 20 year old age of this kit, but with no option for an open canopy, it won't be overly visible.

The scheme I opted for is that with the red tail stripes seen on the box, 15th AF based in Italy in '44

Decals went on reasonably well although they didn't conform as well as more modern sheets, particularly on the wing stripes.

A decal anti-glare panel is a nice touch in the kit.

For the base I used a sheet of PSP, also from Sweet. I went to a lot of effort to cut this at a slight angle, but it is barely noticeable.

It was paired with a 3d printed tanker from Paint & Glue Minatures and fitted to one of my standard 10cm canvas board bases.

Incidentally, after about 35 scenes made using these bases, this will be my final one. I am moving to slightly larger wooden framed bases instead for my future builds, allowing more space for the models and easier transport to shows.

Some figures were added to bring life to the scene and a nameplate from nameitplates.co.uk to give context and it was complete.

Thanks for reading, comments always welcome.