French Air Force Alpha Jet display - RIAT 2007 (Revell)

Anything that flies goes here : fixed wings, rotary wing, airships and ..... balloons
Tim R-T-C

French Air Force Alpha Jet display - RIAT 2007 (Revell)

Post by Tim R-T-C »

Photos from RIAT Fairford 2007, the French display Alpha Jet sits on the apron between flights.

The Revell Alphajet is an early 1990s tooling, re-boxed recently in a triple set. I don't have a real box image here because mine was quickly disposed of - the giant A3 sized box contains a small package of sprues, a nice colourful A4 instruction guide and a rather unnecessary poster of the CGI boxart - for which such a giant box is completely superfluous!

The sprues are unchanged since the 90s - good detail and a reasonable cockpit (which was completely absent in some other 144th kits of the time) but short run quality of part fit and lots of buttress joints. Several prominent aerial fins are not represented and I don't belive there has been an etch aftermarket produced either.

The scheme was one factor behind my choice of this build. Having recently purchased an aerosol extraction booth, monochrome schemes are nice and easy to spray paint and this display aircraft with no weathering required too seemed like a very nice quick build - and for once it wasn't far off!

A very nice new decal sheet came with the kits to cover the three schemes from the boxart.

The wings have several elements but come as a single decal which was really nice, since aligning the markings and orange patches would have proved troublesome.

Once these were on, a satin varnish wrapped up the build nicely.

The diorama base was nice and simple. While searching for pictures of this plane, lots showed up from RIAT 2007 and this shot of the airfield and photographers seemed perfect.

https://flic.kr/p/2m1BQTt

The figures are 3d prints from Modelu - they have a really nice range of very detailed scans, mostly of real people.

The generator is from Ray Rimes Models - I couldn't see much detail in the reference shots but this one seemed close in design.

The base itself was probably the most troublesome part of the build - couldn't get the consistency of the concrete paste right and ended up completely redoing it. Fortunately it worked fine in the end and was completed with a plate from Name It Plates.