Ki-61-II Kai (F-Toys) prototype, Japan 1945

Anything that flies goes here : fixed wings, rotary wing, airships and ..... balloons
Tim R-T-C

Ki-61-II Kai (F-Toys) prototype, Japan 1945

Post by Tim R-T-C »

Early 1945, an IJAAF testing facility in Japan. One of the prototypes of the Ki-61-II-Kai is being inspected following a test flight, but recurrent undercarriage issues are once again frustrating the roll-out of the type, desperately needed to counter the daily B-29 raids.

The model comes from the recent F-Toys WKC18 collection, which combines three types that flew but never really saw service during the Second World War.

The Ki-61-II was an upgrade of the successful Ki-61 using a more powerful engine, the Ha-140, and originally had a different wing design, however this change was reverted for the next prototypes, known as the Ki-61-II Kai.

Around 30 prototypes appeared with a razorback fuselage like the Ki-61, but this later changed to a low back model for the production version. These however only saw limited service as the factory producing the engines was destroyed and the airframes were converted to carry a radial engine, producing the Ki-100.

The kit itself is a Gashapon - a Japanese type which come pre-painted but in kit form, designed for push-fit assembly.

F-Toys are the best known of firms producing these models, which are actually very high quality replicas with the same detail as a good quality kit.

The parts breakdown is identical to a standard kit and it can be assembled as such, I use Tamiya ET cement to provide a proper fit, however seam lines are often quite obvious.

I do typically build and fill then repaint the models completely, but this time I tried a touch up technique instead as the factory metallic finish was very good and some details, such as the markings on the flaps, were printed on and not included on the decal sheets.

Assembly is nice and quick

Decals went on well. The F-Toys decals used to be very thick and non conforming, but these went on nicely. The only extra added was the antenna wire.

Then onto a simple vignette base and the debut of my new base format. These are 13x13cm wooden 'canvas' (a flat wooden board with a framed edge). In keeping with the style of my previous canvas boards, I painted the base white.

The vehicle is 3d printed from Paint and Glue Minatures, the figures are from Beaver Corporation via Amazon JP. The nameplate from nameitplates.co.uk