Aufklärungspanzer 38(t) with 7.5cm Kw.K

Water, Earth, Stars and all the rest go here, whatif or whatever.
Tim R-T-C

Aufklärungspanzer 38(t) with 7.5cm Kw.K

Post by Tim R-T-C »

January 1945, two cold and bored Generals watch yet another prototype 'war winning weapon' in testing at the Kummersdorf Panzer facility in Eastern Germany.

This kit was something I dug out for the Britmodeller Panzer 38(t) Group Build.

Probably one of the most obscure kits ever committed to plastic, this unusual beast was a development of the Bergpanzer 38(t) into a reconnaissance tank with infantry support capabilities.

It apparently tested in late 1944 at the Kummersdorf testing facilities, which is where the above picture was likely taken, one of the only images of this vehicle.

Unsurprisingly this nth variant of the 38(t) chassis which rather duplicated other vehicles already in service was not taken further and the sole prototype was seemingly taken to Denmark and the 223rd Panzer Reserve, presumably for some sort of training role, however no pictures are forthcoming of the vehicle at this time and whether it may have carried a proper camouflage scheme in this role, rather than the winter white of its testing period.

The standard Dragon Panzer layout.

The Dragon kits are decent, but the plastic detail is quite soft. However the sets usually do include some etch, on this example its the front shield which is provided for in a more detailed brass version.

Not the easiest build - the rubber tracks seem completely unnecessary on such a small model, most other kits in this scale have a moulded single piece with wheels and track.

Figures from EBay seller 3djson fitted perfectly.

I love these etched Brengun ladders.

I've started adding name plates to a few of my vignettes where some extra context will be helpful for Show audiences. In this case the comically long name of the vehicle was worth preserving.

The name plates are from the very friendly people at Nameit Plates www.nameitplates.co.uk

So it all finally came together.

teddybeer

Re: Aufklärungspanzer 38(t) with 7.5cm Kw.K

Post by teddybeer »

It was already great art, but with the name plates it’s professionalism.... :D :D :D

MikeV

Re: Aufklärungspanzer 38(t) with 7.5cm Kw.K

Post by MikeV »

Lovely job Tim !
Those Dragon models are in funny plastic but they make up a treat - the extra etch is a bonus and sometimes the separate tracks work for you - cut up to replicate 'sag' - There doesn't seem to be any particular pattern to when you get them mind.

I really must finish some more armour before SMW.
track sag by cutting up kit tracks
<
track sag by cutting up kit tracks