Scots Nationals Perth 2023

Souvenirs, souvenirs...
MikeV

Scots Nationals Perth 2023

Post by MikeV »

Hi All

Last weekend SIG 144 had a cracking two days at the Scottish Nationals with 18 ft of space and nearly 250 models on show. We managed a trophy in the competition too. Having won the 'best SIG display' shield last year I am delighted to report that this year it went to The South Atlantic SIG - SIG Leader Janet Cox is of course a member of this SIG too - a worthy winner, their display was exceptional, congratulations Janet.

Proof again that a small SIG with a good story can stand proud against even the biggest displays (several of the Scottish clubs, on home turf to be fair, had massive displays and dozens of members present) we've spent some time considering this - bearing in mind we exhibit at many shows large and small and with different members depending on geography. The key factors seem to be:- 1) good presentation. many stands for instance had good models but scruffy displays with lots of boxes and junk visible under the table. 2) Engagement. We ALWAYS get out and talk to people looking at our displays. There are still many cases where punters are completely ignored by club members talking amongst themselves - I can only assume there are still clubs & SIGs who think it's just about free tickets.

It was interesting to note that there were some very impressive 144 pieces on display around the show - and not all of them buried under 1/32 F-16s either - hopefully we can gain some more members north of the border in due course - there was certainly no lack of interest in what we do with lots of enquiries of a 'where can I get one of those' nature.

This year Alastair was unable to exhibit so it fell to Huw and I to bring as much as we could jam into the SIGmobiles. Did mean a few old favourites got an airing and a couple of ad hoc displays - the 'Ukrainian' corner turned into a 'swing wing' theme for in stance.

pictures below - apologies for the quality - my phone was having a bit of a sulk it seems - but hopefully you'll get the idea.

Cheers all - see you at the Northern show?

Mike
general view
<
general view
t'other end with Huw's helicopters prominent
<
t'other end with Huw's helicopters prominent
Japanese aircraft are nothing if not colourful
<
Japanese aircraft are nothing if not colourful
The 'Delta' theme continues to grow
<
The 'Delta' theme continues to grow
bit of a joint effort (the A-10s haven't been out for a while) note also the Spitfires and Huw's swarm of Hornets
<
bit of a joint effort (the A-10s haven't been out for a while) note also the Spitfires and Huw's swarm of Hornets
Luftwaffe
<
Luftwaffe
what became the Swing Wing Theme. You can just see Natilus revolving gently in the corner. Due for re-release soon it generated a lot of interest.
<
what became the Swing Wing Theme. You can just see Natilus revolving gently in the corner. Due for re-release soon it generated a lot of interest.
competition table, the Tomcat rightly won prizes.
<
competition table, the Tomcat rightly won prizes.

Tim R-T-C

Re: Scots Nationals Perth 2023

Post by Tim R-T-C »

A fantastic display there from both of you.

I fully agree on the points. I think we all have a great interest in encouraging more people to try the scale and that promotes some enthusiastic evangelism.