Star Wars - Bandai A-wing on Yarvin 4

Water, Earth, Stars and all the rest go here, whatif or whatever.
Tim R-T-C

Star Wars - Bandai A-wing on Yarvin 4

Post by Tim R-T-C »

At the Milton Keynes model show back in May I found a seller with a pile of the 144th Bandai Star Wars kits which I had eyed up for a while, but decided to finally pick up.

On chatting to the seller, Keith from Cozmic Models, I discovered they made a selection of 3d prints suitable for Star Wars scenes, but mostly in 72nd scale. Well it turns out that Keith is actually quite local to me in Yorkshire and was encouraged him to join the Keighley IPMS club which he did and he gifted me a box of Star Wars type figures made especially in 144th scale.

Obviously I had to find a use for them, so settled on the A-Wing to make a little scene.

Like most of the Bandai Star Wars kits in the scale, it is a rather basic model intended to be displayed in a pair on a small flying stand. There is only a small parts count and no landing gear or cockpit, but the surface detail is very good with lovely panel lines.

The kit is designed such that you don't even need to paint - just use provided stickers for the red coloured sections. I painted instead with Citadel base grey, followed by a hull red for the coloured section.

To give the nice dirty appearance of many vessels in the Star Wars Universe, I added some Starship Filth - but unfortunately the thinner was too hot and took some paint off. As a result I decided to strip the paint off entirely and start again, putting a lacquer varnish layer over the top before weathering.

Next step was the landing gear. The model actually has the gear doors represented in the underside lining, but rather than cut these out I used them as stencils with some sheet styrene to cut out the right size doors. The ski legs (no wheels of course, that would be too easy!) were cut from a girder and fitted with brass rods.

The end result probably won't win any awards, but makes a nice facsimile of the landing gear only briefly seen on the screen anyway.

The base was painted with texture paints onto one of my standard canvas boards. I was hoping to represent the edge of the iconic temple, but there wasn't space on this one, so maybe something for another build.

The printed pieces were all ready to go off the sprue, so I picked a nice selection of figures and droids to complete the scene and called it done.

Just to emphasise the scale of this tiny model.

Thanks due to Keith for the beautiful little diorama accessories, check out his other work at www.cozmicscalemodels.com

MikeV

Re: Star Wars - Bandai A-wing on Yarvin 4

Post by MikeV »

very nice job Tim, are those figures available commercially? could do with squad of storm troopers too.

Tim R-T-C

Re: Star Wars - Bandai A-wing on Yarvin 4

Post by Tim R-T-C »

MikeV wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:49 am very nice job Tim, are those figures available commercially? could do with squad of storm troopers too.
Going to sit down in the new year and sort out some boxings. I think he does have some Stormtrooper files too.