Leyland Hippo - Ooh! you are a CAD.

Water, Earth, Stars and all the rest go here, whatif or whatever.
bootneck42

Leyland Hippo - Ooh! you are a CAD.

Post by bootneck42 »

Hello everyone,
I like to add vehicles to my aircraft dioramas; however, as we all know, there aren't that many true 1:144 scale ground service equipment or airfield vehicles available out there. Shapeways produce some, as do a few others in 3D, which I have bought but have not been happy with FDM printed types. These are the ones that come with striated lines that are difficult to file down etc. As such, I have acquired a 3D printer, the liquid UV resin type, and I have also been teaching myself how to draw with CAD software.
I did have a dabble earlier, producing a Leyland single-deck coach

and a Queen Mary trailer and tractor unit,

but now I want to try something a little more elaborate and so I have chosen to do a Leyland Hippo 6x4 10 ton truck.

First off, I downloaded a plan and profile from the Mick Bell archive site, as recommended by DH106.

I shall begin with the chassis and, to start with, I uploaded the plan into Fusion 360 as a reference template, and then resized it to 1:144 scale.

Following that, I was able to start drawing the chassis frame.

Then, I was able to add some of the cross-frame supports.

Note that I am only drawing half of the chassis, doing this has two benefits for me:
- it saves time as I will make a mirror copy once I have completed the drawing and match it over to the other side to make a complete chassis.
- I find it difficult to draw identical lines and curves for each side of a drawing, this method helps to eliminate such errors.

Next to go on the drawing are the suspension and drive-unit components. Please excuse my lack of the correct terminology, I know very little about vehicles.
Here we have the front leaf springs and the two differential units, plus supporting brackets

The petrol tank is situated on this side of the chassis so that was next to be drawn up.

And this is where I have managed to get to so far. All the components described above have been brought together.

I shall spend a little time working out what else is needed and where etc., although the prop shafts will probably be my next task.

Mike