Panther, Ambush in the Ardennes (Arrowhead)

Water, Earth, Stars and all the rest go here, whatif or whatever.
Tim R-T-C

Panther, Ambush in the Ardennes (Arrowhead)

Post by Tim R-T-C »

Late 1944, Eastern Belgium.

The crew of 2/SS. Pz Regt 1 Panther #214 on a reconnaissance probe are taking cover beside a ruined wayside inn on a small road after seeing patrolling Allied aircraft nearby, when the radio operator hears the distant rumble of tanks. He keeps a careful watch through the ruins to try and spot the oncoming vehicles - unsure if they will be friendly...

All three vehicles are Arrowhead Minatures whitemetal vehicles. The Panther is a newer moulding with posable hatches and a partial interior too.

MikeV

Re: Panther, Ambush in the Ardennes (Arrowhead)

Post by MikeV »

Nice one Tim - white metal is coming on isn't it?

Re the scene - I recently picked up the full DVD box set of 'Band of Brothers' in a charity shop for three quid. I had forgotten quite what a powerful (and accurate) account that was ( the original book was amongst my references when I was researching one of my books about the Airborne)

Watching it during the lockdown brought all that back - it covers the Ardenne in some depth and certainly conveys the cold and miserable conditions you depict.

Tim R-T-C

Re: Panther, Ambush in the Ardennes (Arrowhead)

Post by Tim R-T-C »

Thanks. Yes, BoB was a marvellous production, they kept so close to the source book it isn't even worth reading as it is all on the screen.

The Ardennes scenes are superb and certainly part of my inspiration. The later episodes are so dark though, very rarely make it through to these.