Armstrong Whitworth FK10 (the world's only production Quadruplane)

Anything that flies goes here : fixed wings, rotary wing, airships and ..... balloons
Tim R-T-C

Armstrong Whitworth FK10 (the world's only production Quadruplane)

Post by Tim R-T-C »

The Armstrong Whitworth F.K.10 was possibly the only quadruplane to ever enter production. Built in 1916 to compete with the Fokker Triplanes, the RFC ordered 50 before discovering that its performance was inferior to the Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter that was already in combat use. So only 5 were built for the RFC and only used for training, as were a small handful that ended up in RNAS use.

The model is a 3d print from Decapod. It comes as a single piece except for the prop and is nicely detailed - a seated crew are moulded in, avoiding worry about painting the interior.

I definitely wouldn't relish the challenge of making up a quadruplane kit, particularly with Valom etched struts - although the single piece model did add the challenge of painting the wings.

It terms of paint and finishing I didn't have much to go off - the handful of photos of the type show a few different variations and obviously give no hint on colours. Profiles online vary between khaki and green so I went with the latter.

I decided to go with an early model on a test flight near the Armstrong Whitworth factory in Jarrow, a photo believed to be from then shows the aircraft with roundels but no serial number. Decals are from a Blue Rider RFC sheet and spares from some Valom kits.

Of course I had to rig it, again based on the photos and a couple of large scale models seen online - it appears as though one of the bracing wires passes directly through the middle of the wings so I decided this would be near impossible to replicate well, but I did try to represent all of the other main wires visible.

The truck is a Leyland 3 tonne from Ray Rimes models. A lovely detailed print that comes as a single piece with mimimal cleanup required. Painted in War Department green. Some Brengun etched tools add fine detail.

The figures are Preiser unpainted model railway staff who are suitably dressed to be RFC officers.

Stick & Strings Joe

Re: Armstrong Whitworth FK10 (the world's only production Quadruplane)

Post by Stick & Strings Joe »

Great build, really well done and congrats on the rigging. A most unusual subject.