Captured Bf109 G-10 (Mark 1 Models)

Anything that flies goes here : fixed wings, rotary wing, airships and ..... balloons
Tim R-T-C

Captured Bf109 G-10 (Mark 1 Models)

Post by Tim R-T-C »

I was browsing the Kremlin archives, late one snowy Russian winter night, when I came across this previously unseen photograph of a G-10. Attached was this short extract from a propaganda bulletin.

"Here we meet the brave comrades of the 33rd Rifle Division, battling deep into German territory they helped capture the airfield of Jüterbog, one of the last left defending Berlin. During the capture they were instructed to try and capture the Luftwaffe planes intact, so they could be studied by Soviet scientists.

Although most of the planes at the airfield had been destroyed by the fleeing Germans, these brave comrades saw a Luftwaffe pilot attempting to escape and rather than destroying the plane, jumped onto its wings to slow it down and broke open the cockpit to force the pilot to stop the plane."

Unfortunately when Stalin saw the photo, he was so shocked at how ugly the soldiers were, he ordered the photo to be buried deep in the Kremlin archives and had the photographer sent to a Gulag.

I couldn't tell you where the idea for this one came from, but I recently picked up the Mark 1 Gustav boxing and had a selection of Arrowhead Minatures Soviet tank riders and Jeep, along with the Shelf Oddity photoetch cameras so this scene was born.

The 109 was a nice build and my first try at mottling, which seemed to work okay. All brush painted, without any masking.

The jeep is painted 4BO for fun, well it seemed to me that the propaganda division would want a smartly painted, Russian coloured vehicle.

The camera was surprisingly fun, despite its incredible size.

The base is a drinks coaster made from cork and a new regular part of my collection for single-plane scenes.

teddybeer

Re: Captured Bf109 G-10 (Mark 1 Models)

Post by teddybeer »

Grandiose !!!!
But the factory is running at full capacity .....? :D :D
I was wondering what this Shelf Oddity camera could be used for, but I have the answer now .... :lol: :lol:

MikeV

Re: Captured Bf109 G-10 (Mark 1 Models)

Post by MikeV »

The troops are clearly from the little-known Mountain Trolls Division, together with their medical officer who is of course an Igor. Otto the photographer originally hailed from Transylvania. He mysteriously vanished after the photo was taken.

(Ref: 'Monstrous Regiment'. T Pratchett. 2003)