Marineflieger CM.170 Fouga Magister

Anything that flies goes here : fixed wings, rotary wing, airships and ..... balloons
Tim R-T-C

Marineflieger CM.170 Fouga Magister

Post by Tim R-T-C »

German Navy aviation, 1968

This recently released injection kit from Miniwing is a revisit of their earlier resin cast model.

I built the original resin Magister a little while back - a straight forward build. The new injection kit is nice to see, with lovely features and a more detailed cockpit, but it is somewhat harder to assemble thanks to the big sprue gates leaving nubs in difficult places to sand.

I also note that without the etch sprue that was included with the original resin kit, it isn't possible to represent the small fins on the tail which is a pity.

Fortunately assembly was uncomplicated and the interesting German camo scheme provides a more interesting paint job than the all metallic finish normally associated with the type.

The orange paint called for my secret weapon - Citadel base colours - the most intense orange paint for brushing that covers even a dark surface in just a couple of thin coats.

No fuss orange highlights.

A good supply of stencil decals is included, although sadly insufficient for the two airframes included in the box. I'll have to improvise the next one.

Attention next turned to the diorama design. Naval figures from Starling Models matched those in reference photos and were combined with a DKW Munga from Panzer-Shop.nl

My standard 10cm canvas board provided the base. Textured with Tamiya pavement texture, painted, scored and washed.

With this, parts were placed and it was complete.