Manchurian Airforce Ki-21 Sally (Aoshima)

Anything that flies goes here : fixed wings, rotary wing, airships and ..... balloons
Tim R-T-C

Manchurian Airforce Ki-21 Sally (Aoshima)

Post by Tim R-T-C »

This was an impulse purchase when buying some kits at Kingkit, never seen this kit before or come across the prototype.

While broswing my Japanese Aircraft in Foreign Use book I found the profile of this plane and it seemed like an interesting one to model. Technically the Manchuko Air Force used the Type I version of the Ki-21 which has different engines, but I couldn't find a suitable donor cowling and given the paucity of information available on this small air force, it is not unreasonable that they may also have received a Type II.

The colours are conjecture based on the profile used in the book, rattle can Tamiya IJN Grey Green. Roundel decals were from a 1/72 Type 97 sheet which cost more than the kit.

After adding the panel line wash I decided to keep the aged look to the plane which I enhanced with some AK weathering pencils. It will eventually join a late war scene with some Ki43 interceptors.

teddybeer

Re: Manchurian Airforce Ki-21 Sally (Aoshima)

Post by teddybeer »

Superb!
But even if there is nothing on the bird that you have just finished, for your next planes of Manchukuo, you need this book, alas out of print, but very interesting and well illustrated, edited by Arawasi (their blog also is interesting : http://arawasi-wildeagles.blogspot.com/)
Arawasi.jpg
<

Tim R-T-C

Post by Tim R-T-C »

Thanks, will certainly keep my eyes open.

Do you have the book? Is there any detail on the Ki-51 Sonia in there, it isn't mentioned in my other books on the topic but does appear in the Clearprop decal release.

teddybeer

Post by teddybeer »

I looked briefly after seeing the KG144 thread. I did not see anything concerning a Sonia in Manchukuo (in any case, no photo).
But I'll check it out better in the next few days.

teddybeer

Post by teddybeer »

While waiting for the results of my research ...., :D here is an interesting tip (although it is not necessarily good news ....). :D

http://arawasi-wildeagles.blogspot.com/ ... -pt-3.html