My first 3D printed model

Anything that flies goes here : fixed wings, rotary wing, airships and ..... balloons
MikeV

My first 3D printed model

Post by MikeV »

A while back, via the good offices of a fellow member I was able to get hold of some 'Triple Nuts' models. These are produced on a very limited run basis by a small company in Japan. The subjects are very interesting and the level of detail apparent astonishing.

The main problem with 3D is releasing the subject parts from the support cage they come in. The resin used can be brittle so it's a bit like making the first cut for the Hope Diamond!

I chose the Mirage IIIV first (I have a Scimitar, Mirage 4000 and an F-111 to go) this may have been a mistake as it's NMF and I clearly haven't mastered removing the slight surface texture inherent in 3D printing. Consequently I may yet go back and try to make some improvements. First impressions however are very favourable.
not really happy with the intake louvres, but it is a great subject. The real thing worked but lugging all those lift engines around must have been a severe penalty. The  Harrier was a much more elegant solution to operational VTOL.
not really happy with the intake louvres, but it is a great subject. The real thing worked but lugging all those lift engines around must have been a severe penalty. The Harrier was a much more elegant solution to operational VTOL.
nearly finished
<
nearly finished

TerryP

Re: My first 3D printed model

Post by TerryP »

I find it easier to remove the grain from wood than to get rid of the pimples from 3D.
Terry